Wednesday 22 December 2010

An Observation

Now I'm new to this blogging lark and have been checking out the competition.  To my total horror, most of the blogs I have checked out are laden with different fonts, interesting photos, fantastic backgrounds and funny stories.  The pressure to create an attractive and interesting blog for no one to read is unbearable.  Now given that I have no idea how to create such wonders of the modern blogging world, all I have left is my funny story...and here it is.

I recently went to Butlins in Skegness for a 60's revivial weekend.  Now for a 34 year old guy,  such a weekend holds little opportunity for frivolity, excitement or even mild amusement.  However my younger brother, my cousin and I decided to play some drinking games.  Of course, we are all hugely gifted intellects and playing your average drinking game is not going to satisfy our thirst for knowledge.  My brother decides that after 12 double vodka and cokes, he has suddenly gained a general knowledge that would put Stephen Fry to shame.  For the first round of questions, I decide to invoke the unwriiten superiority of age rule and become quizmaster.  

The vodka is flowing and the competitive juices are erupting.  Several acts of mockery and questioning of the venerable quizmaster nearly induce violence but the pace of events continues unabated.  It's question 13 and the scores are six, six.  We have developed a system of a slap of the hand on the table to ascertain who has 'buzzed' in first.  This rule was introduced after threats of violence directed to the quizmaster following a question regarding the meaning of the word, 'testator."  I for one will never forget the meaning of the word, 'testator.' 

Quizmaster: Fingers on buzzers....How would you address the pope?

Thus followed a long and considered pause from both contestants.  With a flash of excitement, the younger brother proudly slaps the table and delivers his answer.........

"Kiss his ring!"

No comments:

Post a Comment